Sunday, August 16, 2009

It's hot...

John and I have been trying to stay inside and stay cool lately. It's hard on all of us when the weather gets hot like this.

Photobucket
Me n' John checking out a big rig at the county fair!

Mom said that I should put out some heat-related reminders for those other Service Dogs out there...things to remind your human partners about!

*Watch out for the asphalt and other surfaces! Any human who has gone barefoot on black-top knows how hot it gets...(Mom remembers walking on the painted lines on the road to avoid the heat as a kid). If you are an assistance dog, chances are, you'll be in parking lots and on sidewalks a lot with your human partner. Remind them that you shouldn't have to stand too long on those surfaces...it's hot on a dog's feet too! Have them put booties on you if being on hot surfaces is unavoidable for long periods of time!

*Bring lots of water! (and bowls) John and Mom always have water in the cars, and John keeps a fabric water bowl in his scooter pack at all times. This way, I can get a drink if we're out in the heat. Since I'm not good about getting a drink in public, Mom also gets me flavored powders to mix into my water to make it taste good! (like those little packets that Mom carries for herself...mine are hot-dog flavored instead of lemonade!) If we're out for a long day...Mom will fill a short, squat thermos with water, so the lid just has to be removed for me to drink my fill. John carries that on the floorboard of his scooter! (handy, isn't he?)

*Watch for signs of heat exhaustion Some of us are prone to over-doing it when we work or play. We dogs don't always know when to quit. So #1 is for our humans to keep an eye on us and make us stop before things go wrong! #2 is to watch for signs of heat-related problems and #3 is for our humans to read up on such problems and know what to do if something occurs! Here is a great site with lots of info! Dogs and Heat Stroke

*Protect the eyes! If you spend a lot of time outside, and it's bright and sunny, you might want to have your human get sunglasses for you. I have a pair of Doggles that John keeps handy for him, in case we're going to be out in the sun. It keeps me from squinting a lot, and since I get lots of attention and treats when I wear them, I don't mind so much!

Any other ideas for staying cool and comfortable in this heat? Feel free to post them in the comments section!

~SDS (lying on the couch in the air conditioning!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips Sawyer. I'm not crazy about drinking water in public either, so mom carries a frozen water bottle with her. If we "park" for any length of time somewhere then mom watches me while I play with the water bottle. The condensation is great! and Cold!

Your friend,
Chloe
Hearing Assistance Dog
Fidos For Freedom

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this information! Looking forward for more great tips! By the way, help Save a Dog, check this out: http://apps.facebook.com/save-a-dog/