Thursday, November 6, 2008

Different rules...

Those of you that are Assistance Dogs out there...do you have different rules depending on how you are dressed (or undressed, as the case may be)?

This morning, Mom sat down at the kitchen table and had some breakfast and a cup of tea. Our house is cramped, so we're on top of each other a lot. This morning, I climbed up onto the foot stool behind her, and put my front feet in her lap. Then I smiled nicely at her. She laughed, and John was looking on from the kitchen. He asked, "what is he doing?". Mom said, "He says he would like some tea." (which was true) Mom being the bad trainer that she is (but gooood mom), let me have a lick of tea. Trouble was...it was hot (she claims she had no idea...but then told John something about "consequences"). It burned my tongue a bit, so I shook my head all over, spraying tea everywhere. Then I licked it off of Mom's hands. My tail wagged the entire time.

Mom laughed and told John that his Service Dog was spoiled, and that he NEVER would have let Charlie do that (Charlie was his first SD).

Mom says that I can get away with stuff like that (when I'm polite and cute) when I'm "out of harness", meaning that I don't have my official SD vest on. They know that I wouldn't ever think of doing that when I was out in public or in my vest.

There are quite a few things that I do out of harness, that I don't do when I'm officially working. I tend to make a lot of noise at home...I like to moan, whine, and generally talk back to Mom and John...but in public, I rarely make a noise. I like to lay on the couch next to John at home, but wouldn't dream of getting up on furniture when I'm out and about, even at someone else's home (unless invited of course). When I'm in my therapy vest, I go out of my way for petting...when in my SD vest, I will accept petting, but pay attention to John despite the petting. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything right now...

We dogs are amazing creatures, aren't we?
~SDS

No comments: